The Miscou and Lamèque islands are regarded as one of the top destinations in New Brunswick. When you visit these two islands, you have the opportunity of strolling and admiring the fauna and flora. They have been fascinating visitors for decades now. Thanks to volunteers who have the passion for making the islands magnificent, these two places have become an integral destination for tourists out there. Hence, strap a peg leg and hook to be ready to have the most exciting memories!
A Visit to the Two Islands
On the northeastern part of New Brunswick, blue, white, and red flags are still flying. These three flags of Acadia symbolizes the colony that took place in the 17th as well as 18th centuries. Today, the descendants of Acadia wear this history and memory proudly. So, they’re continuing to show their French language, culture, and roots.
Acadians are not only friendly but also welcoming people. Hence, when planning to tour to these two islands, consider ways that can make you enjoy the best tour experience, such as the following:
- Taking a camera along – Life and things in these islands occur in technicolor. Homes and lighthouses are not only colorful but also beautiful. So, ensure your digital camera is very ready for the delightful arrays of gold, blue, red, and white.
- Hiring a tour guide – Going with a guide can be a great idea. The best thing about tour guides is that they are familiar with all the routes in Miscou as well as the Lamèque islands. With an excellent tour guide, it would be easy to trace your way back.
Top Sights and Attractions in the Miscou and Lamèque Islands
These two islands are among the places that attract tourists the most. They have attractions and sights that you can see. Some of these places include the following:
- Shippegan Lighthouse – In the early 1800s, gullies used to be narrow channels between land and islands. Such points used to be navigational areas where mariners could use to pass to keep their boats safe. The same thing happened on Miscou Island. Many years ago, Acadians constructed a tall, wooden lantern. It was equipped with four reflectors and lamps to offer directions to fishermen.
- The Ecological Park – In Lamèque Island, you can discover the beauty of the environment where greenness of trees and plants remains untouched. It’s also a site where the environment is protected and nurtured. So, you can roam around with a revelatory guide and enjoy the true nature of the Acadian Peninsula.
Things to Do on the Islands
Touring to these two islands cannot be enough without you doing some of the various activities. There are many amazing things you can do in the Miscou and Lamèque Islands, such as the following:
- Kite surfing
- Eating delicacies such as pizza
Accommodation in the Miscou and Lamèque Islands
Booking accommodation is among the things that travellers need to consider. Every traveller wants to get comfortable and affordable guest housing. If you’re travelling to Miscou and Lamèque Islands, then it would be a great idea to book the best accommodation. But before you do that, you may need to consider the costs, conditions of the hotels, services available, distance, and safety, among others. With that, you can choose a suitable accommodation for your needs. Among the best hotels that you may consider for accommodation include the following:
- Super 8 hotel
- Motel Fraser
- Villa du Capitaine
- Camping Lameque
Restoration Shops and Projects
Thanks to tourists and volunteers. The Miscou and Lamèque Islands have developed tremendously. Entrepreneurs are venturing into different businesses to make Acadians and tourists comfortable. People have set up numerous shops to provide various services and products. Some of these shops are Le Kabernet Restaurant, Dixie Lee, and Su Martine, among others. However, this does not stop at that. There are also restoration projects. Some have been completed while others are still in progress. Currently, there is a bridge restoration project. So, it means there could be a power outage to ensure workers handle the project safely.
The Final Verdict
Both Miscou and Lamèque Island are filled with numerous things that you can find amazing. They not only have the best attractions but also have many things you can do, such as golfing and nightclubbing, among others.